Monday, June 14, 2010

Where does the time go??


Time....what a loaded concept. We are very pre-occupied with time. We have to make sure that we arrive on time for work, for a flight, for a doctor's appt, for a party. Sometimes we try to beat time....especially if you are a runner or an athlete. How long did it take to run that 1/2 marathon? The shorter the amount of time, the better. Timed tests.....you must complete the test in a certain amount of time or take the risk of lowering your overall score because you did not complete all of the questions in the allotted time.
Time related to our lives though is time in its most precious form. As I have grown older, one of the most asked questions that I hear is, "Where does the time go?" One minute our children are entering Kindergarten and the next they are beginning the adventure of high school. I had the privilege of attending my brother's high school graduation this past weekend. I honestly don't know where the time of his first 18 years went. Granted, I was not living with him in the same household as he matured and grew up, but I did see him most holidays and at various other times during the years. One of my most vivid memories of him was when Dan and I took him home during my stepmother's surprise 40th birthday. He did not want to leave and was beside himself that he had to be seperated from his mother. Dan and I did everything that we could think of to console him, but sleep was the only solution. Now, he is leaving in a little over a week to go to New York for an internship and then off to the University of Arizona as a freshman in late August. He is a mature young man and looking forward to beginning his life and seperating from his parents.
We all wish that time would slow down in relation to our lives. But, I am convinced that if we cherish the moments then the years that pass by will be clear and full of heartfelt memories. I know that this is easier said than done, but I am devoted to taking each day and praising the God who created me for the people and moments that He places in my life. We may wish that the moments could last forever, but if they did then we would definitely miss other moments that continue to define who we are and our relationships with others.
I need to pray that I can take my own advice regarding time. I don't want to wish time away and I truly desire to treasure each and every moment with my family and dear friends. This is especially pertinant to me as my oldest begins high school in the fall and next year Dan and I celebrate 20 years of marriage. Where did the time go??? I know that it passed by, but I also know that the time holds dear and precious memories for me for the rest of my life.
I am thankful for:
#61-80

privilege to vote
caring medical staff
printable boarding passes
first row of seats in an airplane
low humidity in Pittsburgh
graduation ceremonies
reconnecting
antibiotics
flights without turbulance
wonderful husband
Shorebreak pizza deals
incorrect weather forecasts
cool shower after a run
kind words
summer vacation
puffy white clouds
blue sky
hugs
grilled vegetables
feather pillows

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Very true. Thanks for the pleasurable thoughts it brought to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, I struggle to 'stay in the moment' sometimes myself. It seems that there's always the next thing (appointment, meeting, obligation, test, etc.) to get through. I think the key IS gratitude, and an openness to God's surprise moments of joy along the way. What a great way to end the post: with your gratitude list!

    ReplyDelete