Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Many Mothers


Mother's Day was this past weekend. In previous years, this day has been difficult for me. I was not one to have a mother that was loving and encouraging. My mother was absent most of my life and dealing with issues that it took all of her energy to face.....alcoholism, pill addiction and personality issues. She is now incapacitated in a home where she needs 24 hour round the clock care and does not know or recognize any of her daughters. Her situation will never get better only worse. When I tell most people this, they apologize and really don't know what to say. I am truly at peace with the entire situation as God is in control and she is being well taken care of. Since I never really had a relationship with my mother, I am not mourning the loss of that. What I did mourn was that missing facet of my life and the relationship that I observe other daughters and mothers sharing. You may notice that I said DID mourn. I have worked through issues of being without a mother and am confident in who I am and that God allowed me to be the daughter that I was for a reason. Because of my experiences, I have been blessed to share my life story with many people who had similiar situations and God has worked the good through all of my authenticity with others. I am so thankful for that.
What I have gained is only precious women in my life who don't have the title of biological mother to me, but true friend and mentor. I have women who God placed in my life as a replacement for the relationship with my mother that I never possessed. I have women who have fervently prayed for me, my husband and my family. I have women who love me for who I am and who I am continuing to blossom into. I have women that prayed for my relationship with Christ before I even knew that I could have a relationship with Him. I have women who always have open arms and warm embraces for me. I have women who truly accept me for who I have been created to be. I have women that love me unconditionally and that I can always trust and be myself with.
What more can I possibly ask for?? God is good....all of the time. He knows what my needs are and He gently placed each of these special women in my life at just the perfect time. Looking back on this past weekend and the celebration of Mother's Day....I am only thankful. Thankful for my "mothers" and so thankful that God allowed me to be the mother that I am to my two precious sons.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Tracy, you are amazing ~ In reading your words from the soul, I genuinely got goose bumps & tears all at the same time! Happy Mother's Day to one of the BEST moms I know!! You are so very inspiring on so many different levels! Bev :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tracy, what words from a heart laid bare! My own mother has dysfunctions that have made it impossible for us to have more than a cordial relationship... and she lives with us! I needed to remember the truths you've shared... to treasure those Titus 2 women God has given me in my walk and to be the best mom and mentor He's equipped me to be.

    ReplyDelete