Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cherish each and every day!!


My heart breaks for the family of Whitney Hulce. If you are not familiar with this story, Whitney was a 25 year old first year teacher in Norfolk. She was out with friends this past Saturday evening and was hit and killed while crossing Shore Dr. I did not personally know Whitney, but the story of her death deeply touches my heart.
I remember back to my first year teaching. I really didn't have a worry in the world. I taught first grade and had a great time on the weekend with friends. I definitely took time for granted and thought that I was invincible. At the time I was living in Richmond and thoroughly enjoying the fact that I was on my own and paying my own bills. I loved my first teaching assignment and doing what I believed God had gifted me to do. I am sure that this is where Whitney was as well. From everything that I have read, she loved her job and was touching and changing lives in her classroom.
Why is it that God takes some of us so young and others live very long lives? I can't answer that question. It is a mystery and one that I will ask of God once I reach heaven. I know that God has work for all of us to do here on earth. I also know that our life here, whether we live a few decades or until we are a century old, is only a blip on the radar screen compared to our lives in heaven for eternity.
This entire story regarding Whitney makes me very aware of the fact that any day can be our last here on earth. We wake up each morning and expect that we will be crawling into our beds at the end of our day. That is not always the case and that is why we truly need to capture the blessings of each day that is given to us. Every day is a gift and could be our last.....we really don't know. Unlike technology now that can reveal 3D pictures of an unborn baby and due dates of pregnancies that allow us to prepare for the birth of a newborn, we do NOT have that luxury with death. Death is inevitable, but not one of us knows or is able to figure out the exact day or hour.
I know that I need to live as if each day was my last. It is difficult, because life as we all know it gets in the way. Deadlines, places to be, projects to complete, laundry to do, houses to clean, carpools to run, etc, etc, etc. What if today was my last day here on earth and I knew it?? I honestly don't know what I would do, but I know that I would want everyone that loves me to surround me and spend time with me. I know that I would want to make sure that my loved ones knew Jesus and that I would meet them again in heaven.
I truly am so thankful for all that God has blessed me with.....a loving family, wonderful active children, faithful friends, and health that sustains me. I need to appreciate all that God surrounds me with each day....my boys laughter, my husbands gentle touch,kind words from dear friends, my dogs nudging, the azaleas blooming in my yard, the sun shining, a students hug, soothing words of scripture, my comfortable bed at night, birds chirping in the trees, the ability to exercise, and each day that I am able to watch the sun rise and set. I will cherish each and everyday and when the day arrives that Jesus calls me home, I pray that I have lived my life here on earth to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment