Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring Break


It has been a great week!! This has been our Spring Break from Virginia Beach City Public Schools. A few weeks ago I was feeling sorry for myself that we were not going to travel anywhere. After this past week, I am thrilled that we stayed put!! Beginning last Friday, the weather has been perfect. By that I mean, no humidity, no rain and just warm spring air and sunshine. The boys and I have had a wonderful time together. We rode bikes, slept in, went for runs, traveled to Busch Gardens, and went to the beach twice!! I actually acquired a sun burn on my back!! This weekend I am looking forward to Landon's lacrosse games and relaxing until it is back to reality on Monday.
I am thankful for this past week as well. Dan had an accident at work on Tuesday where he shot a nail completely through his left hand. If you know Dan at all, he is NOT one to complain or go to the doctors or the hospital. I knew when the phone rang on Tuesday afternoon and he said that he was at the hospital that it had to be somewhat serious. The nail entered his hand through the palm and came out the other side. It was quite a sight which I was not able to look at for any length of time!! Hand surgery was being contemplated at one point, but then the emergency room doctor was able to remove it after going to his car and getting a tool on the end of his key chain. :) WOW!! So much for modern hospital technology!! Praise God that this nail did not hit an artery or go through the bone. It really is a miracle and Dan went back to work yesterday on a very high dose of antibiotics to combat any infection.
I am thankful that my diet survived the break and Easter too!! I am beginning my third week of Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. It is a wonderful change and I am feeling the difference in my health. I have eaten no meat, dairy, oils or pasta for the past three weeks. I also have had no soda in three weeks, which for me is a feat in itself!! I also have lost just about 10 pounds and am feeling strong and fit knowing that what I am putting into my body is healthy and good for me!! I have found many blogs with recipes for vegans that I have tried and it really is a lot of fun. I am looking forward to talking to my friends Karen, Jen and Samantha at work about their successes over the break as well.
Just nine more weeks until summer.....it is a bittersweet feeling as I love my job and the children that I work with each day. It will be so comforting though to have that feeling of summer and not feeling pressured to be somewhere everyday at a specific time. I also am looking forward to spending the time with my family and friends as time ticks away way too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment