Friday, March 26, 2010

Slow and Steady completed the race!!!!!!!!!


I was jolted from a deep slumber at 4:45 a.m by my alarm clock. I had a difficult time getting to sleep the night before with all of the excitement of the race stimulating my thoughts. I guess this is why the "experts" recommend that you get a good night's sleep two nights before race day!!
The first thing that I heard at that early morning hour was birds chirping and welcoming the start of another beautiful day. I peeked out of the window and it still resembled night, but I knew in my heart it was going to be a perfect morning for a run.
I showered to wake myself up and carefully dressed in the running clothes that I had meticulously set out the night before. I lathered myself up with Body Glide (to keep from chafing) and deodorant and pulled on my black running skirt and my green St. Patrick's shirt to display my Shamrockin' spirit!! My number 9737 was perfectly pinned in the center of my shirt and I wrapped my running pack around my waist. I couldn't forget to carry the necessities.....Strawberry GU, chapstick, Sport Beans, license, and my camera to capture our memories of the day. I think that I was ready to go!!
As we reached the Oceanfront that morning, my heart leaped with happiness at having the opportunity to run another 1/2 marathon. I have not participated in one in over a year and a half. As I blogged previously, the training has been cold and difficult. God was rewarding our hard work by painting the horizon with a beautiful sunrise and temperatures in the 50's that seemed balmy.
The excitement was contagious at the start line. There was a sea of green everywhere that you looked to honor the St. Patrick's day holiday and the Shamrock weekend. We started in Corral 4 which meant we had a few minutes after the race officially started before we crossed the start line. We snapped pictures, talked with other running friends and waited patiently for the gun to fire signaling the beginning of the 13.1 mile journey.
At approximately 7:10 we ran over the start and our chip time officially began. My dear friend Sue and I started out slow and steady in order for our muscles to get used to the exercise that we were going to put them through for the next two and a half hours.
Crowds of people lined the streets, even at this early morning hour. Our names had been carefully typed on our racing numbers, so people that we did not even know shouted our names and encouraged us on our trek. Cow bells ringing, people cheering and holding up signs of motivation allowed for us to focus on our goal and have a great time doing it!!
The first few miles came and went and we felt strong. We stopped at each water stop to hydrate ourselves with cold water and Gatorade. We sang along with the DJ's that were strategically placed along Shore Dr. (which is a very long part of the race), we read the riddles and answers that were posted in the pine straw and tried to guess the punchlines. Sue and I talked with each other about our lives, our thoughts and our dreams. As we conversed, mile after mile was behind us and we were quickly reaching the finish line.
We made sure that we sucked down our portable food for runners.....GU, and I ate some Sport beans which are really a glorified name for Jellybeans!! Our energy was contagious and we were still at it and looking towards our goal.
Reaching mile 10, we re hydrated with some more water and affirmed the fact that we only had 3 more miles to go. We can do it!! As we ran back down the Oceanfront, dear friends continued to cheer for us, knowing that our goal was only a few miles away and so happy to share in the joy of completing the race. Sue and I were both beginning to hurt. My toe was numb and Sue's side was aching. We needed to push on through....we were almost there!! :)
After mile 12, we ran onto the beautiful boardwalk of Virginia Beach with the majestic ocean on our left. In the distance, we could see a glimpse of the large finish line beckoning our feet and hear the announcer blaring the names of the successful racers.
"Come on, Sue....we are almost there," I encouraged.
Each step brought us closer and closer. Our hearts were pounding and we were panting with anticipation and fatigue after running for almost 13 miles. We grabbed each others hands and as the finish line became a reality, we pushed them in the air in celebration of months and months of work and crossed to completion. Huge smiles adorned our faces and the adrenaline pumped through our veins. What an awesome accomplishment and a perfect running day!!
The months of training and perseverance allowed for both of us to experience God's creation and His strength through a race that has carved memories in our minds forever. I am so thankful for this opportunity and know that I am blessed to be a Shamrock 1/2 marathon finisher!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Tracy! Congratulations on your run! I also ran a 1/2 that same morning and mom had been planning to run one but didn't (running must run, haha, in the family). You are right - there is something about running- doing something our bodies are meant to do - combined with the beauty of our world that is truly spiritual and uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling . . . our 16 week journey to the finish line was completed on a glorious morning. Well done good and faithful friend!

    ReplyDelete