Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day 2010


Today is Valentine's day. I don't really know how I exactly feel about this day, but I do believe that it is important to show and tell the people you love EVERY day that you love them. You don't ever know when your last day will be, so telling those dearest to you that you love them is so important!!

My husband, Dan is not romantic. He never has been and I don't think he ever will be. This was difficult for me for a very long time. I really wanted to be swept off of my feet with kisses and roses and have surprises waiting for me around every corner. Well....it never happened. Over the almost 19 years that we have been married, I have had to get over my big bad self and realize that it is NOT all about me!! As much as I wish it was, it is NOT!! :) I will tell you though that my husband expresses his love for me and for his family in a completely different way than I wanted him to, but it is better than anything that I could have wished for.

Dan is a dedicated and hard working man. Whether it is for his business, for me or for his children, he does everything to the very best of his ability. He NEVER slacks off or leaves any task unfinished. He is trustworthy and does what he says he is going to do. He coaches his sons in baseball and wrestling, he serves on our neighborhood civic league, he is active at church and has led many bible studies, he constantly helps around the house to keep things tidy and neat, he gives of himself to neighbors and friends.

Today being Valentine's day, we returned home from church and he got dressed in his "work" clothes. He came downstairs and announced that he was going to clean the bathrooms. Now you are probably thinking....."ah, that is so nice for him to do on Valentine's day for you"and it really is, BUT Dan does this all the time for me, not just on Valentine's Day. I am not prissy about much at all, but I absolutely HATE to clean bathrooms...it really grosses me out. Dan knows that and he cleans all three of our bathrooms from top to bottom at least once or twice a month. It usually takes him a few hours and if you have been to our home, our bathrooms are not big...they are tiny. He takes the shower doors off of the hinges and scrubs them, he scrubs the grout, the toilet and the sink. If it is in the bathroom, he completely cleans it until it is void of germs.

Dan is humble and does it without complaining or murmuring things under his breath to me!! :) Because I can be very thick sometimes, I have finally realized that this is the way that he shows his love for me. Dan will do many things around the house that others may think are the woman's job and he always does it with a glad heart. Vacuuming, dusting, folding clothes, emptying the dishwasher, making the bed, etc, etc, etc it is always completed thoroughly and wonderfully!!

I am so thankful for this gift that Dan gives to me each and every day. It is not roses or candy, but something even better. Dan gives selflessly of himself to do something for me that I don't like to do. What better sacrifice can a husband give to his wife???

My prayer is that God will continue to allow me to realize what a gift my husband is to me, to not be self-serving and self-centered, and not to wish for roses and candy when I have so much more!! I am truly blessed everyday with Dan and not just Valentine's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment